Monday, May 02, 2011

Purple Rose


OK ... I'm a little obsessed with watercoloring ... just can't get enough of it.  Today I watercolored the rose from the Fifth Avenue Floral stamp set using the Wet Paper Watercoloring technique that's on Splitcoaststampers website.  LOVE IT!!

I embossed two roses with white embossing powder and then misted the watercolor paper with water before adding touches of re-inker.  It looks messy and not very nice at all ... but once it dries - wow, really pretty!  My plan was to cut up the second rose and add layers of petals, but I couldn't figure out which ones to cut out so I just added three petals to the right side of the rose to balance it out.  Hope you like.

"Purple Rose"
 
 
Stamps:  Fifth Avenue Floral (SU!)
Paper:  Rich Razzleberry, Whisper White, Cottage Wall Designer Series paper (SU!); Arches 140 lb. cold press "Natural White" watercolor paper
Ink:  Rich Razzleberry, Old Olive (re-inkers) (SU!); Versamark
Accessories & Tools:  White embossing powder, heat tool, Sizzix Leaves #2 die-cut, Flourish Texturz Embossing Plate, Big Shot, Mini mister, paint brush, paper towel, sticky strips, adhesives, glue dots and dimensionals

* * * * *

I inked the rose stamp with Versamark and stamped it twice on watercolor paper and heat embossed in white.  I placed the embossed roses on paper towel and misted with water until it was quite wet (not running).  I dipped a small paintbrush into Rich Razzleberry re-inker and dabbed it onto the rose.  The water "grabs" the ink and spreads it through the water.  Tip:  add the ink at the center of the petals so they will be darker and the outer part of the petals are lighter.  Keep adding dabs of ink until the roses are saturated with color.  Let dry and then cut out.  I cut out a couple of the outer petals from the second rose and, using glue dots, glued them to the back right side so the rose was balanced.

Using the remaining watercolor paper, I cut out three leaves from the Leaves #2 die-cut.  I thought the curve of the leaves were a bit over exaggerated, so I trimmed them down to a shape I was happy with.  Then I repeated the technique above, misting and adding Old Olive re-inker to paint the leaves.  Once they were dry, I used glue dots to add them behind the rose.

I ran the 5 1/2" x 4 1/4" Rich Razzleberry cardstock through my Big Shot with the Flourish Texturz plate and then sponged with Rich Razzleberry ink to show the design more (hard to tell in the photo).

I mounted the pieces as per the picture above, popping the rose up with dimensionals to add depth.  I also added inside panels (three pieces) to add weight to the back of the card.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Loll :)