Friday, August 05, 2011

Brayered card "African Sunset"

The other day I went to Clipper Street Scrapbooking Company in Langley.  They have a 40% sale on Sizzix and Spellbinders this week.  I was really hoping to get the nested maple leaves, but unfortunately they didn't have it ... I should have gone the first day of the sale - my bad!  I did manage to find three Sizzix die-cuts that I really liked.  One is the Tim Holtz Branch Tree and I used it today for my brayered card below.  I have done a little reverse masking, but the challenge from Splitcoaststampers last week really opened my eyes about the possibility of using ANY die-cut for that technique and today I used the Branch Tree outline as a mask - I'm really happy with how it turned out.  Hope you like.

"African Sunset"
 
 
Stamps:  none
Paper:  Glossy White, Cherry Cobbler, Basic Black (SU!)
Ink:  So Saffron, Real Red, Bravo Burgundy, Basic Black (SU!) 
Accessories & Tools:  Speedball Rubber Brayer, post-it notes for masking, 1 3/8" circle punch, Tim Holtz "Branch Tree" die-cut, scrap cardstock for tree mask, sponge dauber, Dotto temporary adhesive, and permanent adhesives
 
* * * * * 
 
I used the temporary adhesive to secure my glossy white cardstock to a large piece of scratch paper.  I used a post-it note to mask the sky area.  I loaded my brayer with Real Red ink and brayered up to the mask, filling in the area completely with ink.  I then loaded my brayer with Bravo Burgundy and slowly added it at the bottom and working my way upwards, not completely covering the Real Red ink.

I removed the mask and placed it on the bottom part of my cardstock, covering the ink I had just added.  I loaded a clean brayer with So Saffron ink and brayered, starting from the masked edge and working upwards about an inch or so.  I punched a circle with the post-it note and placed it about half way above the horizon line (masked line) and off center, over top of the So Saffron ink.

I loaded a clean brayer with Real Red ink and started brayering, this time from the top down, not completely covering the So Saffron ink.  I loaded the brayer with Bravo Burgundy ink and brayered on top of the Real Red, not completely covering all of the Real Red.  I removed all the masks.

I ran the Branch Tree die cut through my Big Shot with a large scrap piece of cardstock.  I used the outline as a mask and placed it on top of the brayered cardstock, about 1/2" or so from the bottom and slightly off center.  I used a sponge dauber to fill in the tree with Basic Black ink.  I removed the mask and sponged black along the bottom.

I framed the brayered image with Basic Black cardstock and then mounted it on the card base of Cherry Cobbler.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Loll :)