Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Crackled Ginger Jar


Another quiet day at home.  Lots of time to experiment in my art studio - yah!!  I made another crackle die-cut piece today (well, actually I started it yesterday and finished it today).  I'm going to keep experimenting ... I'm hoping that I can use my heat tool or maybe a hair dryer to speed up the drying process because waiting is the hardest part with this technique!! :)

Today's card is for the sketch challenge at SCS.  I did an Asian-themed card and I just love how the ginger jar turned out.  I found the image on Google, downloaded it, resized it and printed it off.  I cut it out and used it as a template for my cardstock.  It worked really well.  Hope you like.

"Ginger Jar"



Stamps:  Of the Earth & Just Believe (SU!); For You (Rubber-Art Stamps)
Paper:  Basic Black, Soft Suede, Cherry Cobbler (SU!)
Ink:  Basic Black, Soft Suede, River Rock, Cherry Cobbler, Always Artichoke
Accessories & Tools:  Dreamweaver Matte Black embossing paste & Crackle embossing paste (2-step), palette knife, sponges, Cuttlebug "Floral Screen" embossing folder, medium oval punch, temporary adhesive, sticky strips and dimensionals

* * * * *

I printed off the image that I found on the internet and cut it out to use as a template.  I traced it onto Basic Black cardstock and cut it out.  I used lots of temporary adhesive on the back to stick my ginger jar pieces onto a scrap piece of paper and then used the palette knife to slather on a coat of Matte Black embossing paste.  Once it had set up a little (not completely dry), I removed it from the scrap paper and let it dry completely (approx. one hour).  I again used temporary adhesive to stick the coated ginger jar pieces onto an new scrap piece of paper and used the palette knife to slather on a thin coat of Crackle embossing paste.  This time I removed the pieces right away from the scrap paper and let them dry (approx. one hour).  Once the pieces were dry, they had curled a little, so I straightened them out with my fingers and then placed them under a heavy book and left them overnight. 

I then sponged the jar first with River Rock ink and then around the outside edges with Soft Suede ink.  I inked the flower stem with Stampin' Write markers Cherry Cobbler and Always Artichoke and stamped on top of the jar.  The crackle prevents the stamp from being really clear, so I went over the image with my markers to fill in any gaps.  I inked the leaf sprig from Just Believe with Always Artichoke ink and stamped it three times along the left side of the jar (again, filling any gaps with the marker).  I used sticky strips to adhere the jar pieces to the background Basic Black cardstock.

I ran the Soft Suede cardstock through my Big Shot with the Cuttlebug Floral Screen embossing folder and then sponged lightly with Soft Suede ink to highlight the embossing.  I also sponged more Soft Suede ink around the outside edges of the piece and also around the outside of the medium oval which has been stamped with the sentiment in Basic Black ink.  I sponged the Cherry Cobbler cardstock strip with Cherry Cobbler ink (dark around the outside edges and randomly on the piece).

I mounted all the pieces as shown in the picture above, popping up the main panel with dimensionals to add depth.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Loll :)