Monday, August 15, 2011

Crackled Maple Leaf


Today I hung out for a few hours with my mom ... always a great way to spend some time.  We went to the grocery store, the paint store, and then stopped at a veggie market before heading back to her place for lunch.  Had a nice relaxing lunch and then I headed home.  I've been revamping my website this weekend --- lots and lots of hours on the computer :( ... but I was almost finished, so came home and finished up before making a card.  Gord and Jer are out dirt-biking today, so I have the house to myself this afternoon.  It's so quiet :)

I bought supplies the other day to try out a new technique (new to me!) --- Paste Embossed images.  You apply a paste over a brass stencil, remove and let the paste dry and then sponge with ink once dry.  You end up with a raised image on your card - so pretty!  I've tried a few times now, but even though I'm just learning, I'm getting a little frustrated.  But, I will try again until I figure it out ...

I also bought a crackle finish that goes over top of the paste - it's such a fantastic finish.  So since I was having trouble with the stencils, I decided to use my new Nestabilities Maple Leaf to die-cut an image.  I spread it with the embossing paste, let it dry, added the crackle finish on top, let it dry and then sponged some color.  The leaf turned out really cool!  Definitely looks like a late fall leaf that has been off the tree for a while.  Today's CAS challenge was to use a partial image ... so I inked my Fabulous Florets leaf stamp and added it on top of the maple leaf.  I'm not sure what I think of it yet ... it's growing on me.  And I had some trouble figuring out how to use the image on a card.  All I know is that after having to wait and wait and wait for this thing to dry ... it WAS being used.

So, let's say this is an "artistic adventure" and leave it at that.

"Crackled Maple Leaf"



Stamps:  Fabulous Florets (SU!)
Paper:  Soft Suede, Early Espresso, Basic Black (SU!)
Ink:  More Mustard, Pumpkin Pie, Cajun Craze, Early Espresso, Soft Suede (SU!)
Accessories & Tools:  Nestabilities Maple Leaf, Matte Black embossing paste, Crackle embossing paste, palette knife, sponges, hemp twine, temporary adhesive and dimensionals
 
* * * * *

I used Basic Black cardstock to cut out the maple leaf die-cut with my Big Shot.  I used temporary adhesive to stick it down on some scrap paper and then, using the palette knife, covered the image with Matte Black embossing paste (Dreamweaver).  I let it dry for several hours.  I then used the palette knife again to apply a thin coat of Crackle embossing paste.  I let it dry overnight.  The image curled up on me, but I flattened it out and placed it under a heavy book for a couple of hours and it was good to go!

I sponged the entire leaf with More Mustard ink.  I then sponged Pumpkin Pie ink over top, making sure to leave the center of the leaf just the More Mustard color.  I sponged Cajun Craze ink over top, just around the outside edges.  Finally I sponged Early Espresso on the edges only.  I inked the Fabulous Florets leaf sprig with Early Espresso ink and stamped it twice on the left hand side of the maple leaf
I ripped a piece of Early Espresso cardstock and then randomly sponged the same color ink over the cardstock.  I added more sponging along the edges.  I took three pieces of hemp twine and wrapped it around the panel and tied it at the bottom in a knot. 

I sponged the card base of Soft Suede with the same color ink to give it a distressed look as well.

I mounted all the pieces as shown in the picture above, popping up the main panel and the maple leaf (so double-popped) with dimensionals to add depth.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Loll :)