Thursday, January 19, 2012

Tiger Lily


Today's card combines two challenges from this week at Splitcoast Stampers --- Sketch Challenge (SC368) and Ways To Use It (WT358 - Sew Beautiful).  I rarely sew on my cards ... I don't have the best luck with sewing machines.  And after an hour of trying to get my machine to work ... I gave up and did the sewing by hand.  The good thing about it was that I was able to use embroidery thread, which made for very bold stitches.  Hope you like.

SCS Sketch 368:


Here's my take on the sketch:

"Tiger Lily"


Stamps:  Fifth Avenue Floral; Trendy Trees (SU!)
Paper:  Crumb Cake, Soft Suede, Soft Suede DP, Old Olive, watercolor paper (SU!)
Ink:  Soft Suede, Early Espresso, Old Olive; Re-inkers: Pumpkin Pie, Cajun Craze; Stampin' Write marker:  Cajun Craze (SU!)
Accessories & Tools:  Clear embossing powder, heat tool, Sizzix Little Leaves die-cut, Big Shot, water mister, paper piercing tool, brown embroidery thread, Stamp-a-ma-jig, sponges, adhesives, sticky strips, glue dots and dimensionals

* * * * *

I started with watercolour the flower with diluted re-inkers.  I stamped the flower in Early Espresso ink onto watercolor paper and embossed with clear.  I cut the flower out.  I misted the flower with water and then used Pumpkin Pie and Cajun Craze re-inkers on the wet watercolor paper.  Once dry, I used my Cajun Craze Stampin' Write marker to color in the stamens and add dots to the petals.
I ran Old Olive cardstock through my Big Shot with the Little Leaves die-cut and then sponged the edges of the leaves with Old Olive ink.

I cut a card front from Crumb Cake cardstock and randomly sponged Soft Suede ink over top to give it an aged look.  I added more sponging along the edges of the card front.  I also sponged the edges of the polka-dot Soft Suede DP and then adhered it to the card front.  I pierced holes along both long sides of the polka-dot DP, offsetting the rows and then stitched a zig-zag stitch along the top and bottom.

I cut two narrow pieces from striped Soft Suede DP.  I pierced holes and then sewed more embroidery thread through.

I used the Stamp-a-ma-jig to position my sentiment and then stamped it in Soft Suede ink (very subtle).  I mounted the two narrow pieces onto the card front with dimensionals to give them depth.

I used glue dots to attach the leaf sprig and tiger lily.  I mounted the card front onto a card base of Soft Suede cardstock.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Loll :)