Sunday, February 12, 2012

Butterflies in Flight


Today I'm posting two cards for tomorrow's CAS Challenge (CAS157) - Sketch by Nancy Littrell.  I had a lot of fun working with Nancy's fabulous sketch!!  With the first card I used the latest tutorial on SCS by Karen Barber - Marker Layering.  Nancy had made a card yesterday using this technique and sent me the link ... I just loved the way her images turned out, so checked out Karen's wonderful video tutorial and tried it out for myself (click here to see the tutorial).  I definitely need some practice, but it was fun and I like the way my butterflies look like stained glass!  Hope you like.

Nancy's original sketch:












Here's my version of the sketch:

"Butterflies in Flight"



Stamps:  Butterflies Cling (Inkadinkado); On the Grow - sentiment (SU!)  
Paper:  Basic Black, watercolor paper (SU!)
Ink:  Stazon Black, Tempting Turquoise, Pacific Point, Daffodil Delight, Basic Black (SU!)
Accessories & Tools:  Blending tool, sticky strips, glue dots and dimensionals


I stamped the butterfly image onto watercolor paper three times with Stazon Black ink (two are only partial images).  I stamped two extra butterflies on watercolor paper scraps.  I used my Stampin' Write markers and the blending tool to color in the butterflies with the Marker Layering Technique (click here for the tutorial on SCS).  I cut out both of the extra butterflies (one is for the inside of the card and the other was layered on top of the main butterfly on the card front).  The top butterfly was mounted using rolled glue dots and dimensionals to give it depth.

I stamped the sentiment in Basic Black ink onto watercolor paper, framed it in Basic Black cardstock and mounted it to the card front using sticky strips.

I mounted the card front onto a Basic Black card base.

____________________


Here's the second card using Nancy's sketch.  This time I sponged a stencil I made using "Pair of Ferns" die-cut from Cheery Lynn.  I originally stamped the sentiment in Kiwi Kiss ink, but it was too light and didn't photograph very well, so I used the Stamp-a-ma-jig for placement and stamped over in Black ink.  I can't believe how perfectly they lined up ... you can just see a hint of the Kiwi Kiss in the background (doesn't show in the photo).  Hope you like.

"Ferns"

  


Stamps:  A Word for you (sentiment) (SU!)
Paper:  Whisper White, Kiwi Kiss (retired), Urban Garden DP (retired) (SU!)
Ink:  Kiwi Kiss (retired), Old Olive, Basic Black (SU!)
Accessories & Tools:  Big Shot, Pair of Ferns die-cut (Cheery Lynn), sponge, small eye make-up sponge, removable tape, Stamp-a-ma-jig, and adhesives  



I ran both fern die-cuts (left and right) through my Big Shot with large scrap pieces of cardstock.  I removed the die-cuts and kept them to be used at a later time.  I used the cut-out as a stencil.  I positioned it on my Whisper White cardstock and secured it in place with removable tape.  I sponged the whole image in Kiwi Kiss ink.  I used a small make-up sponge and Old Olive ink to add more color down the stem and at the base of each leaf.  I removed the stencil.  I repeated this process using the other stencil (opposite angle), sponging only a partial image twice.  I removed the mask.

I stamped the sentiment in Kiwi Kiss ink and then over-stamped in basic black.

I mounted the main image onto a frame of Urban Garden DP and then onto a card front of Whisper White. 

I mounted the card front onto a card base of Kiwi Kiss (for stability).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Loll :)