I know there are lots of different ways to use blender pens, but I'm fairly new to this product and have only tried two so far. One technique is marker layering (tutorial on SCS here). Ink is added to watercolor paper using Stampin' Write markers and then blended with the pens to create layers of shading. Another I've tried is using ink from the stamp pads and the blender pen to add to watercolor paper ... more subtle look than marker layering. The first card uses a combination of both of those techniques and I experimented by using Whisper White cardstock instead of watercolor paper. It turned out great and I will probably experiment with other papers to see how they work. The watercolor paper is the best, though and I will definitely use it the most often.
Stamps: Echoes of Kindness, Field Flowers (SU!)
Paper: Whisper White, Certainly Celery (SU!)
Ink: StazOn black, Marina Mist, Pacific Point, Certainly Celery, Basic Black (SU!)
Accessories & Tools: blender pen, white gel pen, Stamp-a-ma-jig, post-it note for masking, adhesives, and dimensionals
* * * * *
I stamped a stem of delphiniums in the center of my card front with StazOn black ink. I stamped the image again onto a post-it note, cut around the outline of the flowers (generally - not to picky) and then used the post-it note to mask my first stamping. I stamped the image twice more, one on either side of the first stamping. I removed the post-it note.
I "squished" the Marina Mist stamp pad and then opened it (this leaves some ink on the lid). I used my blender pen to pick up the ink and color in the flowers. I did a second coating to intensify the color (deeper color in the middle of the flower and lighter towards the edges). I alway try to leave a little white space on the flower - it makes it see more realistic. Next I used my Pacific Point Stampin' Write marker to add color to the centers of the flowers (or base depending on how the flower is facing) and then used the blender pen to blend the color outwards.
I used the Certainly Celery Stampin' Write marker to outline the stems and around the outside of each flower.
I added some white dots in the flower centers using the gel pen.
I stamped the sentiment in Basic Black ink using the Stamp-a-ma-jig for positioning.
I mounted all the layers, popping up the main framed panel with dimensionals. I also added one stem of delphiniums to the inside of the card, using the same process as above to color in the flowers.
This card is a CASE of one from shellied at SCS (click here). I just love the design and layout she used to create a wonderful asian-style card. I changed only a few small things, but basically this is totally shellied's card. Hope you like.
"Bamboo For You"
Stamps: Embrace Life (SU!); For You (Rubber-Art Stamps)
Paper: River Rock, Early Espresso (SU!); watercolor paper, green mulberry paper ($1 store!)
Ink: StazOn black, Old Olive, Always Artichoke, Sahara Sand, River Rock (SU!)
Accessories & Tools: blender pen, Big Shot, Floral Screen embossing folder (Cuttlebug), rubber brayer, medium oval punch, scalloped oval punch, adhesives, and dimensionals
* * * * *
I stamped the image onto watercolor paper using StazOn black ink. I "squished" my Old Olive ink pad (leaving ink in the lid) and then used the blender pen to pick up the ink and color in the leaves of the bamboo. I repeated this with the Always Artichoke ink, adding the color mostly at the base of the leaves. I used the Sahara Sand Stampin' Write marker to outline the stems and leaves.
I used my rubber brayer to add River Rock ink to the inside of my embossing folder, added a piece of River Rock cardstock, and ran it through the Big Shot (faux letterpress technique). I framed all the pieces for the card with Early Espresso cardstock.
I mounted all the layers as shown in the photo above, popping up the main framed image with dimensionals as well as the sentiment.
For the inside of the card, I added another piece of the green mulberry paper (framed in Early Espresso) to the bottom of the card.