Hi everyone. Not feeling the best today, so decided to take it easy and play a little in my studio. Usually on these types of days, my mojo goes missing ... so I had an idea about making my arched window into a trellis and wanted to see if it would work. Just experimenting, and not really thinking that I would make a card. But once I finished the trellis, I LOVED it and within a few minutes, the trellis was decorated with lovely spring blooms. I love when a card comes together so easily and unexpectedly! :) This also covers off several challenges, so I'll list them at the end of the post. But, one I did want to remind you of is the current challenge at Addicted to CAS - code word: Flower. Hope you'll join us for this fun challenge ... just make sure to include a flower or flowers ... and make sure the card is CAS. As a reminder, CAS means clean and simple ::: one main focal point, not many embellishments or layers, and lots of open (or white) space.
Stamps: Be Happy (Amy R)
Paper: White (Neenah); Barely Banana, Certainly Celery, Pink Pirouette, Pretty in Pink (SU!)
Ink: Early Espresso (SU!)
Accessories & Tools: Big Shot, 8 Petal and Branch die ... and Olive Branch dies (C.C. Designs); Small Arched Madison Window die (Poppy Stamps); Stamp-a-ma-jig, glue, and dimensionals
I die-cut three windows and cut out the middles from each, just leaving the arched frame. I then cut strips of 1/8" wide white cardstock. I added glue to the back of one of my die-cut windows and placed the strips on the diagonal in one direction. I played with the placement of the strips, making sure they were evenly spaced and then pressed them into the glue. Once the strips were adhered to the frame, I trimmed off the excess and then glued the second window die over top to conceal the edges of the strips - making sure to line up the window frames. I turned the window over and again, added a light squiggle of glue all around the window frame. Then I added the strips in the opposite diagonal direction, making sure to weave them in and out and alternating the weaving pattern. Once these strips were adhered to the frame, I again trimmed off the excess and then glued the last window die-cut on top to conceal the edges of the strips (again, making sure to line up the window frames). Sounds like a bit of work ... and it is a little fiddley, but didn't take too long.
I then die-cut the branches and wove them through the trellis, securing the stems to the back of the window. I die-cut the flowers, shaped them with my stylus and mat and glued them on top of the branches.
The sentiment is stamped in Early Espresso, using my Stamp-a-ma-jig for positioning. The whole window is popped up on the card front, which is then popped up on the card base.
Here's a close-up picture of trellis:
I'm entering this card into the following challenges:
CAS-ual Fridays (CFC99 - Birthday Bash)
All That Scraps - Anything Goes
Color Throwdown (CTD239 - certainly celery, barely banana, pretty in pink, blush blossom)