Sunday, March 20, 2011

Garden Trellis

I started to make this card yesterday, but couldn't finish.  My husband was stringing some cables in the basement and missed the last step of the ladder on his way down.  We rushed to the closest clinic and four stitches later, he's as good as new (almost, just a little sore).  It's really the kind of excitement I'd be happy to do without!  He's taking it easy today, and I'm back in the art studio today ...

I CASE'd this card from "Markie's Mom" on Splitcoaststampers

I thought it was so unique and loved the trellis.  So I made the card below which is very similar, only changing up the shape of the trellis, background paper and sentiment.  I also liked the look of the textured paper she used, but I don't have any embossing folders that are similar so I decided to make my own "faux woodgrain" background using the Rubber Band Technique.  It's so simple, that you really don't need a tutorial, but I made one anyways as a reminder.  There are so many techniques to use, sometimes I forget about some of them - so it's more of a reminder to myself :)   Click here to take a look.  Hope you like.

"Garden Trellis"
Stamps:  Whimsical Words (sentiment)
Paper:  Kiwi Kiss, Urban Garden Designer Series paper (retired) (SU!), Watercolor paper, white cardstock
Ink:  Kiwi Kiss, Old Olive, Sahara Sand
Accessories & Tools:  Nestabilities Label Ten die-cut (Spellbinders), brayer, rubber bands, Little Leaves die-cut (Sizzix), Big Shot, medium oval punch, scalloped oval punch, clear embossing powder, heat tool, flower embellishments, sticky strips, glue and dimensionals

* * * * *

First I created my woodgrain look for my background paper and trellis by using the Rubber Band Technique on all the pieces of watercolor paper with Sahara Sand ink.

Using one of the 4" x 3" of watercolor and the 4" x 3" white cardstock, I cut out my frame for my trellis (the white cardstock will not show - it will be used at the back to hold all the strips of trellis together).  I used the second 4" x 3" piece of watercolor paper to cut 3/16" strips that I used for the trellis.  I placed them one way only on diagonal within the frame (start by adding the center strip first and then adding additional on both sides to make it even).  Once I was happy with the placement of the strips (one direction only), I glued them to the back of the frame.  Then I added strips in the other diagonal, weaving them in and out of the first set.  Once I was happy with the placement, I glued them to the back of the frame.  I glued the white cardstock frame to the back of the trellis to hold everything together.

I sponged the three die-cuts of Little Leaves with Old Olive to add depth (one of the die-cuts will be used on the inside of the card).  I stamped the sentiment in Kiwi Kiss ink onto a scrap of watercolor paper (make sure the lines go in the same direction as the lines on the background paper) and embossed it in clear - it needed to be embossed otherwise the words disappeared on the background.

I mounted all the pieces as shown in the picture above, popping up the trellis and sentiment with dimensionals for more depth.   I added flower embellishment that I purchased at my local Dollar Store (you gotta' love those $1 Stores!!).  I mounted the pieces for the inside panel and added the Little Leaves die-cut to the top left-hand corner.

No comments: